Operating System Filter

Mar 28, 2010 at 8:37 PM

I have a component to install which requires Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2003 SP2 or Vista SP2.

What would be the best practice to allow installation on just these operating systems? The os_filter_greater / smaller don't seem sufficient. 

Is the best way to create 3 otherwise identical Setup Configurations, each with the OS os_filter_greater / smaller set accordingly? Maybe i'm missing something obvious, but I feel a CSV list of acceptable OS (similar to the processor architecture filter) would be a nice addition to the existing OS checks.

James

Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Mar 28, 2010 at 11:39 PM

You have it correctly, this is definitely a feature request. I am just curious, what kind of setup needs to only install on XP Sp3, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and Vista SP2 that doesn't need to be installed on the other operating system versions in-between?

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:54 AM

For example, a bootstrapper which installs a component which the developer has certified for say XP SP3. I cannot allow installation to an unsupported configuration.

Many software packages have OS requirements similar to the one outlined in the original post. 

Coordinator
May 3, 2010 at 12:41 AM

This was added to 1.10, build 1.10.7711.0.

http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/releases/view/43112

- Added os_filter that behaves like lcid_filter for operating system IDs.
- Replaced os_filter_greater and os_filter_smaller with os_filter_min and os_filter_max that include boundaries and use enumerated values instead of numbers.

Please give it a try, let me know if it works.

May 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Thank you for implementing this useful function!  At my first attempt I got an error running (not compiling) the generated setup file: with:

osfilter=winXPsp3,winServer2003sp2,winVistaSp2,win7

os_filter_max=winNone

os_filter_min=winXPsp3

The error was: "Conflicting os_filter=winXPsp3,winServer2003sp2,winVistaSp2,win7, os_filter_min=Windows XP Sp3, os_filter_max="

The problem went away setting os_filter_min= winNone.

It might be good to catch this at compile time, if possible, rather than when running the resulting setup.

I don't have a full set of ms windows installations to test the resulting setup on, but it behaved as expected on XPSP2, XPSP3, Win2003SP1, Win2ksp4.

Thank you for this update.  James