Embed File

Mar 29, 2010 at 5:06 PM

In my new sql installer, I am using the following to build the output exe

It is working with the 1.6 version, but not with 1.8

It has some files missing as it unzips the files when run.

Please let me know if /Embed+ /EmbedFolder:. still works

"C:\test\Software\dotNetInstaller[1].1.6\dotNetInstaller 1.6\Bin\InstallerLinker.exe" /Output:"SQL2008 Setup 1.6.6.32.exe" /Banner:dlgbmp.bmp /Template:"C:\test\Software\dotNetInstaller[1].1.6\dotNetInstaller 1.6\Bin\dotNetInstaller.exe" /Configuration:Configuration.xml /Icon:ET.ico /Embed+ /EmbedFolder:.

"C:\test\Software\dotNetInstaller.1.8\dotNetInstaller 1.8\Bin\InstallerLinker.exe" /Output:"SQL2008 Setup 1.6.6.32.exe" /Banner:dlgbmp.bmp /Template:"C:\test\Software\dotNetInstaller.1.8\dotNetInstaller 1.8\Bin\dotNetInstaller.exe" /Configuration:Configuration.xml /Icon:ET.ico /Embed+ /EmbedFolder:.

Also, I tried using the embedfile and embedfolder in the configuration file, but  how does it work if i have lots of files and folders?

Do I have to specify them one by one?

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2010 at 8:09 PM

It should still work. But of course I code plenty of bugs (and unit tests for the fixes, so the future is bright).

1. Do you see the linker embed these folders/files?
  2. When you run setup.exe /displayCab, what is in it? There should be a * component which gets extracted and that should have those folders.
  3. Do you get the files when you run setup.exe /extractCab in SupportFiles?

Thx
dB.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:57 AM

1. Do you see the linker embed these folders/files?

I think so, it’s hard to spot the exact file as the creation of setup.exe runs behind the scene.

However, the size of setup.exe is almost the same as that of version 1.6.

2. When you run setup.exe /displayCab, what is in it? There should be a * component which gets extracted and that should have those folders.

I ran the following “setup.exe /displayCab” in cmd but nothing comes up, maybe I am not looking at the right place

3. Do you get the files when you run setup.exe /extractCab in SupportFiles?

The same files are missing (104 folders and files). See output of my beyondCompare

This e-mail was sent to you by EASYSCREEN LIMITED (EASYSCREEN). We are incorporated under the laws of England and Wales (company no. 05677531 and VAT registration no. 872810613). Our registered office is at 155 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3TQ. This e-mail and/or any attached documents may contain privileged and confidential information and should only be read by those persons to whom this e-mail is addressed. Use by other than intended recipients is prohibited. If you are not the addressee, you must not copy, distribute, disclose or use any of the information in it. If you have received it in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. EASYSCREEN reserves the right to monitor all e-mail messages passing through its network. As we cannot guarantee the genuineness, accuracy or completeness of the information contained in this message, the statements set forth are not legally binding.
Mar 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I just tried using the 1.9 beta version and that works fine.

So maybe as u said, there were some bugs in 1.8 which are fixed in 1.9

Coordinator
Mar 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM

I think this was caused by a bug in CabLib, the library used to do all this. The bug was fixed and the library updated. Glad to hear it works, 1.9 will release within 30 days or so.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I face another problem in this related task. pls help

On 64 bit XP machine, when I run the SQL2008 setup.exe from the temp directory (where files are extracted by defauly CABPATH), it fails to install. If I copy it locally C:\TEST, setup works!

In my configuration.xml, I am trying to do the folllowing in Component>command to copy files from CABPATH to c:

copy "#CABPATH\SupportFiles\SQL2008Exp64\" "c:\SQL2008Exp64\" /S /E /I /Y"

However, this means I have to have two components, one for copying and one for running the setup

Can I get a component to run 2 commands? using command_silent and command_basic?

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:31 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:33 PM

You should look into the installer's logs of why it fails from a certain path.

You can batch commands in DOS with & signs, for example copy foo bar & bar.exe /q.

I filed a feature request to support batching of commands where you can put a command on each line. The advantage would be that dotNetInstaller could stop execution if the first command failed. Something you can't do with the above.