Main Installer GUI with only single item to install

May 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I have created an installer which installs .NET framework 3.5 SP1 as a prerequisite followed by my application MSI. The prequisite is only checked on particulat OS's (Win Server 2003/2008 Vista, XP). Presumably I don't need to check this on Win 7 becauase it is already installed as part of the OS. When I run the bootstrapper on Win7 it shows the bootstrapper GUI with only the application MSI to install (which is correct). If you hit "OK", it runs the MSI. 

In the case there is only a single app to install, can the bootstrapper GUI be hidden because it adds a level of indirection. In this case, I simply want the bootstrapper executable to run the application MSI (ie, behave as though the user executed the MSI directly).

thanks for any help

sanjay

Coordinator
May 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM

If you don't define the MSI execution as a component, but run it as a complete_command, then the UI won't show (because it thinks that there's nothing to do). The complete_command will run and it should be something like msiexec yourproduct.msi. Then the bootstrapper shows pre-requisites only.

Jun 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I implemented your suggestion and it works (in that it doesn't show the UI when there are no prerequisites to install) and executes the msi install (as specified in complete_command). One thing i have noticed is that when you execute the bootstrapper app, it displays a dialog box for a split second before running the msi (I can't see what it displays on the dialog box as is dissapears pretty quick). Do you have any idea why it does this and a workaround?

thanks

sanjay

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2010 at 2:34 PM

It's probably a CAB extraction dialog - your installer is likely very small so it goes fast. In 1.10 there's a new option, show_cab_dialog, try setting it to false.

A good feature request could be to show progress and CAB extraction dialogs after a second or two so they don't flicker. Feel free to create one.