dotnetInstaller configuration file XML schema

Jun 17, 2010 at 1:35 PM
I would like to somehow automize the creation of the dotnetinstaller configuration xml files for a autobuild process. Therefore it is really helpfull to have the XML schema DNI uses in the Editor for the configuration.xml file. I could not find any in the zip as well as in the sources, so does there exist a XML file or other easy way to get an overview of the config XML layout?
Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM

The best way is to take InstallerLib.dll and use the classes (starting with ConfigFile) to read/write configuration. You can write an MSBuild task or an executable that does what you need to do. That's what the unit tests do.

ConfigFile configFile = new ConfigFile();
            SetupConfiguration setupConfiguration = new SetupConfiguration();
            configFile.Children.Add(setupConfiguration);
            ComponentCmd cmd1 = new ComponentCmd();
            setupConfiguration.Children.Add(cmd1);
            cmd1.command = "cmd.exe /C exit /b 0";
            string configFilename = ...;
            configFile.SaveAs(configFilename);

This is nice because the library handles upgrades, you can load a configuration of any version and save as the current one. With new releases of dotNetInstaller you can just drop in a newer DLL and you're done.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM
thanks for the information, this seems to work well. The only thing I am asking myself now is, how do I find out which properties in the object I have to set and which are optional or predefined? Is there a way to find this out? Allthough it is not allways clear from objects, which are valid childs for an object (since many objects derive from XMLClass)
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Everything has a default value (empty string is a default value too), but there's no clear way of knowing of what's optional and what's not, nor what's valid and what's not. For example, if you don't define cmdline for a command component, it will fail at runtime. It would be a nice improvement to introduce an attribute and go over all the objects and mark those optional and those required and check the values during save (#6730).

Every node is an XmlClass, but valid children are in a better place. They are indicated by a reflection attribute on the parent node. For example, ConfigFile can only have a WebConfiguration or a SetupConfiguration child.

[XmlChild(typeof(WebConfiguration))]
    [XmlChild(typeof(SetupConfiguration))]
    public class ConfigFile : XmlClass

XmlClassCollection has a CanAdd method to check the reflection attribute, so you can do configFile.Children.CanAdd(typeof(Download)), for example if you need to find out programmatically.

Jul 27, 2010 at 2:33 PM
thanks for the fast reply and for adding a new feature proposal. I added to have this somehow documented. For the possibilities of what can be added to which objects I do not need this during programm time, but would like to have this during/before compile time to get an error if I add a wrong object type. But I can use the installer editor to find out that quite fast since it is mainly a one time issue (once its in the programm correctly, it might not change very often ;))