Log_File option is broken in Version: Build 1.10.9437.0.

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Our installer runs in silent mode with no user intervention on multiple machines, so we rely on these logs (uploaded to a share programmatic-ally) to check the state of the machines. Seems like it is broken in the new version: Build 1.10.9437.0. I have Log_Enabled = true and Log_File set

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM
Edited Jul 6, 2010 at 8:59 PM

We're doing the same thing and it works with the same build. What is your Log_File set to? Are you just not seeing the log?

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Log_File is set to D:\installerlog.txt...I ran the setup manually and now I see this error 

http://twitpic.com/230yyj

here is my configuration schema version   <schema version="1.10.9437.0" generator="dotNetInstaller InstallerEditor" />

InstallerEditor.exe version: 1.10.9437.0

dorNetInstaller.exe version: 1.10.9437.0

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 9:39 PM

This is expected. You need to reopen the configuration and resave it with the InstallerEditor from the same version. This converts the configuration file from the previous version.

dB. @ dblock.org
Moscow|Geneva|Seattle|New York

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 5:33 PM
To: dB.
Subject: Re: Log_File option is broken in Version: Build 1.10.9437.0. [dotnetinstaller:218502]

Log_File is set to D:\installerlog.txt...I ran the setup manually and now I see this error

http://twitpic.com/230yyj

here is my configuration schema version <schema version="1.10.9437.0" generator="dotNetInstaller InstallerEditor" />

InstallerEditor.exe version: 1.10.9437.0

dorNetInstaller.exe version: 1.10.9437.0

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dotnetinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email dotnetinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Seems like for some reason the Setup is getting the older version in its attributes even though it was build with the newer bits. Wondering if I should clean out my %temp% in case there is some leftovers from the previous version stuck in there.

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:49 PM
dblock wrote:

This is expected. You need to reopen the configuration and resave it with the InstallerEditor from the same version. This converts the configuration file from the previous version.

dB. @ dblock.org
Moscow|Geneva|Seattle|New York

Already did that, no luck. I checked the schema version on the configuration.xml, seems right 1.10.9437.0, but the prompt asking me to save the config in the older schema. cleaned out the temp folder as well

Jul 6, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Found the issue, user error(well kinda) :)

Looks like the "Create Executable" doesnt look at the relative path from the root folder instead takes the last known location of the dotNetInstaller so I was building against the older bits and didnt realize this.

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM
spjacob wrote:

Found the issue, user error(well kinda) :)

Looks like the "Create Executable" doesnt look at the relative path from the root folder instead takes the last known location of the dotNetInstaller so I was building against the older bits and didnt realize this.

I am confused. What do you enter where and what does it do that it's not supposed to? :)

Jul 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM

So on upgrades, the "Create Executable" dialog prepopulates the older dotNetInstaller location in the dialog(assuming, it picks it up from some registry entry). 

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Well, yes. It just remembers the last values in that dialog.

Generally, I don't recommend using the UI to generate executables. Create a command-line repeatable build process that uses InstallerLinker.exe. It gives you a lot more control.