Reboot in between the installation

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM
Edited Jul 15, 2010 at 2:45 AM

I need to perform a reboot in between the install, the reboot is necessary of the subsequent installs in the setup.

So basically something like this

1. Install A
  2. Install B (Needs a reboot)
  3. Install C (Prerequisite is Install B and its reboot and needs a reboot after it’s installed as well)

Install B is an MSI which signals the reboot, but I notice that the reboot never occurs at Install B instead occurs only at Install C (which is an msi as well). I tried suppressing the Install B reboot and let dotNetInstaller take care of it with no luck either.

I’m assuming this has something to do with the values in the following Install B attributes

• ·         Mustreboot
  • ·         must_reboot_required
  • ·         allow_continue_on_error
  • ·         default_continue_on_error

The behavior I needed was a reboot at Install B and then to continue installation from Install C after the machine comes back up. Based on this information, what do you think the issue is? What should the values be in the above attributes for a reboot in mid installation?

Thanks,

Jacob

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Are you using 1.10 (it will ship very soon, it's an RC now)? 1.9's mustreboot is broken and there're some related issues, so I would start by upgrading if you haven't yet.

Now, if B is an MSI and the component is of 'msi' type, and it signals a reboot, the bootstrapper should prompt for a reboot/reboot depending on the options. The first thing to do is to make sure that B effectively signaled a reboot and that DNI saw it. Post your log file.

Next, the rebooting section in the documentation has been largely updated, re-read it in the newer CHM, just in case you see something obvious.