Embedded Msi files references files that need to reside in same folder as msi

Jul 15, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Hi

Some parts of our application are very customer/user specific. The msi copies certain files that reside in the same folder to the desired folders on the target machine.
An example installation package could look like this. It is important the the msi and the other files reside in the same folder!

Application.msi
FOLDER_WITH_USER_SPECIFIC_FILES           (These files change per customer, impossible to compile them into the msi)

As the application has various prerequisites  (.NET framework, crystal reports...) we use dotNetInstaller as bootstrapper. When the dotNetInstaller-bootstrapper is triggered, the msi gets copied a temp folder and as a consequence, the msi and the installation-specific files no longer reside in the same folder. ( Having a guess, I believe the SourceDir points then to the wrong directory and the the user specific files cannot be copied)

Is there a solution to the problem? The goal is to have the following structure on the CD that is distributed to the customer:

Bootstrapper.exe
FOLDER_WITH_USER_SPECIFIC_FILES           (These files change per customer, impossible to compile them into the msi, or Bootstrapper)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Coordinator
Jul 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Would telling the MSI the location of the bootstrapper solve the problem?

For example if the MSI parameters contained STARTPATH=#STARTPATH. You could use [STARTPATH] inside the MSI then. It would be trivial to add #STARTPATH (DVLib::GetModuleDirectory()) that would be referenceable in configuration.xml (see InstallerSession.cpp).

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. This seems a workable solution, i'll try that.

(As I am a newbe when it comes to msi, wix and dotnetinstalleri might have problems implementing it, but I would get back to you in this case)

Coordinator
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM

I've added #STARTPATH, #STARTEXE and #STARTFILENAME in build 2.0.4404.0. Try it.