de-select succesfully installed components

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:22 AM

Hi,

When I run my 3 component installer, and the second one fails for some reason, DNI (I think?) says which component failed, and after clicking ok, I get back to the main dialog that still shows component #1 as selected (checked), and I can click the install button again and it will try to reinstall.

Is this behavior controllable?  And if so, how?  I  would like to de-select (uncheck) the check boxes next to the components which got installed, and basically prevent the user from trying to install again. until they restart setup.exe.

Thanks

gp

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Not really.

Component visibility is controlled by install checks. So when a component fails to install, dni re-evaluates checks and shows the component again, checked. If the component is required it cannot be unchecked. It sounds like what you want is that if a component fails to install, it is not automatically re-checked by re-evaluating its install check - but you can see the problem with required components.

What exactly are you trying to solve? Why does restarting setup.exe matter?

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Hi Db. 

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I got pulled off the project for a day or two, but I'm back now.

I think it is reasonable that the check boxes stay checked on failed components, so you could try to install them again.  But I think they still stay checked if they succeeded too.

Like comp#1 installed ok, (and is not marked as 'required' in the configuration file.)

then comp#2 failed install.  When we come back to the main dni selection dialog, comp#1 is still checked.  So when you click the install button, it tries to install it again.  I'm using version 1.10.8408 if that matters.

It might be more useful if the check box was unchecked and the status next to it would say something like "(successfully installed)" in this case...

Do I have something config'd wrong maybe?  Each component is

required install = false

required uninstall = false

selected install = true

selected uninstall = false

Thanks for your help...

GAP

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM

You're not missing anything. It's a reasonable feature request in the lines of this one. I'll create a new one specifically for this scenario.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Hey Thanks Db.  That would be great!

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.