Different installation options

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Hello! (I'm sorry for the inaccurate English).

I have task to do installer with next parameters:

installer consists from four parts: .net, postgresql, batch file with database configuration options and main program inself. My task is to collect this different packages into some type of unites: full installation (.net + postgre + bat + main), reduced installation ( .net + main) and smallest (main only). User should see only this options (full, reduced and small) and don't see packages itself. I think selection should be as some form of radio buttons (or three different buttons in dialog), not with check-boxes...

Is it possible to do such installer with your program and what you can advice me to implement this task.

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2010 at 1:26 PM

The short answer is no.

The long answer is, not in anything production-ready. dotNetInstaller is very much about pre-requisites now and what you see is what you get - it would list these 4 things and users would have to pick what they want, but not as "full, reduced, small", but as ".net, postgre, bat, main". I've been working on an HTML-based installer that would allow this. It's somewhat functional in the source code, but I don't expect to publish a build for at least another few weeks. If you feel adventurous you could get the source, build it and try.

Jul 20, 2010 at 1:35 PM

It is very interesting for me to try your new installer. I'm not shure that I can do anything I want, but at least I can try...

Coordinator
Jul 20, 2010 at 3:26 PM
Its htmlinstaller in the source, works just like dotnetinstaller.exe. If you have an index.html in the current directory it will load it. Theres a working one in htmlinstaller/html with all basic widgets (list of comonents, etc).

Sent from my Windows® phone.

Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:35 AM
To: dB. <dblock@dblock.org>
Subject: Re: Different installation options [dotnetinstaller:220082]

It is very interesting for me to try your new installer. I'm not shure that I can do anything I want, but at least I can try...

Jul 22, 2010 at 12:35 PM

And where I can find sources and compilation requirements?

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 1:05 PM

The CHM has a "Contributors" section with all the information. If you find something inaccurate, this could be your first patch :)