Single bootstrapper for 64-bit and 32-bit platforms

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:10 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2010 at 6:27 PM
I have one msi that installs an application on either a 32-bit platform or a 64-bit platform (using wow64). The application has a dependency on the .NET Framework 2.0 and I would like to create a bootstrapper using dotNetInstaller. How do I create a bootstrapper that installs the 64-bit version on a 64-bit platform and a 32-bit version on a 32-bit platform? Another issue that I am having is that when I create the exe, whether I have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed or not, the bootstrapper still tries to install it and an error occurs. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? Thanks, Katelyn
Jul 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

You create two components, one for 64-bit only and another for 32-bit only installs. There's an os_filter property that lets you specify where the component applies. The documentation contains a section on OS/platform/locale filters, do read it.

You need a proper installed check for your .NET 2.0 component. You either didn't add one or it's incorrect.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Hi,

I have the exact same requirement of installing dotnet 2.0 if it it is not present on the user machine choosing the version that is appropriate for the user (x86, x64 or IA64) with correcct language pack if it is absent.  I also need to install dotnet with localized messages in 5 different languages. I tried to look at the documentation in doc directory. Help file only lists the index. None of the topics show up. Can I first check for language packs and install one and then try to install dotnetfx 2.0 version appropriate for OS , language and culture? Could you point me to the documentation or help files online? Thanks.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM

See the discussion here on why your CHM doesn't open.

Spend some time with the doc, then post questions when you get stuck.

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Thank you for a very quick response. I am now able to view the chm file.

My apologies for posting the problem but the main page states that only way for a feedback is discussion or review. In the discussion the very first posting was the appropriate topic so I posted my message.

Thanks again.

Umesh

To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:48:53 -0700
Subject: Re: Single bootstrapper for 64-bit and 32-bit platforms [dotnetinstaller:220751]

See the discussion here on why your CHM doesn't open.
Spend some time with the doc, then post questions when you get stuck.
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (dotnetinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email dotnetinstaller@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.