after release is before release...

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM
So my question is if there already is a rough plan/estimate when to expect Version 2.0, since I really look forward to the HTML based UI? I might be a little early but I am currently evaluating bootstrappers for my company and a flexible/changeable GUI is one key requirement. Best regards, quirrel
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I am pretty close to having builds of htmlInstaller, a drop-in replacement for dotNetInstaller.exe. It's working in the source tree - you can check it out and build it. So there's hope :) It won't be several months before it's released through. Generally DNI is very stable during development since there's always a large volume of unit tests and I am always interested in helping early adopters and vice-versa.

Jul 27, 2010 at 6:18 AM
Thanks for the update, this sound promising. So the dni is still a candidate as our companies bootstrapper solution. If we are going this way it is likely that I will check out the html replacement in near future. You will definetely hear from me when I test it.
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 11:54 AM

What other bootstrappers are you evaluating? It would be nice if you posted some kind of comparison online, especially with the commercial ones.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Edited Jul 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM
At the moment we were/are waiting for WiX tool burn that also sounds good but is not ready until now. The other alternative would be to create a boostrapper for our own, which I want to avoid.
Coordinator
Jul 27, 2010 at 12:07 PM

They've been working on burn for a while. And it should be a while more. It's a Microsoft Windows cycle of development, 5 years or so :)

Most people want burn for custom UI. We'll do that with htmlInstaller in version 1 - it's already working. Then I'll look at integrating MSI progress (when the MSI's progress bar is part into the bootstrapper's progress bar) and multiple configurations (scenario-based installs) next.

Jul 27, 2010 at 12:14 PM
Custom UI is also the main reason for me ;) That's why I am looking forward to dni's htmlinstaller.
Aug 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM

so, I managed to build dni trunk so far that I could have a first glance at the htmlinstaller. (also I could not do an svn-update but that may be out of scope here...)

After having a first look I asked myself if there are, and which, extra possiblities in the htmlinstaller that the dotnetinstaller did not have? For example we will need the possiblity to show a "dialog sequence" like it is done when calling a msi installation with "normal" UI?

db, what do you mean by "multiple configurations (scenario-based installs)"? Could you give there a short example.

I hope it is not early for this questions.

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM

It's a little too early, be patient.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I uploaded the first functional builds. Here's a tutorial to start with: http://code.dblock.org/ShowPost.aspx?id=119. Let me know how it goes.

Aug 10, 2010 at 11:39 AM

thanks for the tutorial, will have a walk through and test it this week.

Aug 13, 2010 at 1:44 PM

so, I have had a walk through the tutorial and tried the 2 page example, it really looks nice so far. what I could not find out and would like to have is the possibility to include the/a modified index.html (and all other ones) within the bootstrapper. As far as I understood the "embedhtml" switch fo installerlinker is used for images and other "resources", or can it be used for the html files as well? If so, a hint on how to do this would help a lot.

Anyhow the alpha 2.0 version looks really good to me.

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2010 at 8:52 AM
Edited Aug 16, 2010 at 8:52 AM

EmbedHtml does everything.