NetFx64 not in support files

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM
Where can I get the support files for NetFx64? In the SupportFiles directory under samples, there are support files for the .Net Framework 2.0 for x86 platforms (dotnetfx) but not for x64 platforms. Or, am I going about requiring .Net Framework 2.0 for x64 incorrectly? Thanks, Katelyn
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Download the redistributable from MSDN and setup the directory structure for your application in the same way as the x86 sample. It's just there to provide an example. The component conditions are available via the wizard in InstallerEditor.

Jul 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2010 at 6:46 PM
Thanks. I have done this and now the installer package is rather large (over 100 MB). Is there a way to make the package smaller while still embedding all files and folders?
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM

There's no magic. If you're going to be embedding large .exe-s, the result will be large. Compression-wise CAB already does amongst the 3 best compressors out there.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:26 PM
Thanks for the response. I've switched over to installing NetFx64 from the web. When I run setup.exe the x64 .NET Framework downloads from the web, but then an error message appears that states: "Failed to install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (x64). Continue with other components?". I am not sure why the .NET Framework won't install. The following is my code for that portion: <component command=""#APPPATH\NetFx64\NetFx64.exe"" command_silent="" command_basic="" uninstall_command="" uninstall_command_silent="" uninstall_command_basic="" returncodes_success="" returncodes_reboot="3010" id="Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (x64)" display_name="Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 (x64)" uninstall_display_name="" os_filter_greater="" os_filter_smaller="102" os_filter_lcid="" type="cmd" installcompletemessage="" uninstallcompletemessage="" mustreboot="False" reboot_required="" must_reboot_required="False" failed_exec_command_continue="" allow_continue_on_error="True" required="True" selected="True" note="English - Standard - x64 - .NET Framework 2.0 SP1" processor_architecture_filter="x64" status_installed="" status_notinstalled="" supports_install="True" supports_uninstall="False"> <downloaddialog dialog_caption=".NET 2.0 with SP1 - x64 English - Download Components" dialog_message="Press 'Start' to download the required components for installing .Net 2.0" dialog_message_downloading="Download in progress. Please wait..." dialog_message_copying="Copying..." dialog_message_connecting="Connecting..." dialog_message_sendingrequest="Sending request..." autostartdownload="True" buttonstart_caption="Start" buttoncancel_caption="cancel"> <download componentname=".NET 2.0 with Service Pack 1" sourceurl="http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/3/f/a3f1bf98-18f3-4036-9b68-8e6de530ce0a/NetFx64.exe" sourcepath="" destinationpath="#TEMPPATH\NetFx64SP1" destinationfilename="NetFx64Setup.exe" alwaysdownload="True" clear_cache="True" /> </downloaddialog> <installedcheck path="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727" fieldname="Version" fieldvalue="2.1.21022" defaultvalue="False" fieldtype="REG_SZ" comparison="version" rootkey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" wowoption="WOW64_64" type="check_registry_value" description="Installed Check" /> </component> I've been comparing to several different samples from the documentation and the web and cannot find any obvious differences. Any help on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks, Katelyn
Coordinator
Jul 26, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Please do read the documentation and the tutorials.

You need to make sure the download puts the file in the same place where the installation runs from. The log is usually helpful as well to see where the root problem is.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Thanks for your help! I now have the bootstrapper working.