Error: 0x08007064a on XP SP3

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Hallo to all!

A customer of mine has the following error 0x08007064a - MsiEnumProducts on a XP SP3 system, when he starts our bootstrapper generated with dotNetInstaller.

Has anyone an idea, what the problem could be?

We have tested and installed our product on a lot of XP systems without any problems

BR
Nikolaus Keuth

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:23 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:55 PM
Edited Aug 5, 2010 at 10:56 PM

This error means "The configuration data for this product is corrupt. Contact your support personnel." (It should render in English, but that's beyond the point). One of the products installed on the machine is producing this error - so if you have an installed check that relies on a product or upgrade code, the installer fails with it (it can't enumerate the list of installed products to find out whether this one is installed). The user's PC has a corrupt MSI database basically.

The right thing to do would be to find out which product is the culprit and force-uninstall it. I've attached a test. Run dotNetInstallerToolsLibUnitTests.exe DVLib::UnitTests::MsiUtilUnitTests::testGetAnyInstalledProducts on the customer's machine. It will show all products and will probably have a failure in the middle that it should ignore.

First, confirm that this is what's happening.

If I am right, there's something we can do in dotNetInstaller to simply ignore the failing products during the product enumeration. I filed #6816 for that.