Get Parameters for Component from File?

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Hello,

it may be that I have not seen this since I start using dotnetinstaller, but what I would need is the possiblity that is like the response file for the exe component, but for every component/GUI element default values. I have searched documentation and discussions but could not find a solution.

In an MSI Component the Installation Path can be set via a browse control. The value can then be used in the command parameters for the component using [browseControlId] format.
When doing any Silent install the value for browsecontrolId can also be set via command line (do not know how but red in the docu)

What I am now missing is a way to preset the default value of the browse control UI not via command line but via some sort of "configuration file". So that a) the value from the config file is used as default when using dni in UI mode and b ) the value is used when doing a silent install. The idea behind is to have an easy way to set any number of command line parameters for MSI or other components and be able to "overwrite" some of them with values from UI-controls.

Is there a way in dotnetinstaller to do this?

I hope you understand what I mean and can point me in the right direction.

Coordinator
Aug 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM

There's no way to create a "response file" for DNI. This is certainly implementable (feel free to create a feature request as usual).

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:09 AM

ok, so I did not miss some dni details, just wanted to make sure and avoid unnecessary feature request.

created feature request: http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/workitem/6860, which hopefully gets implemented.