disable silent installs?

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Is there a way to prevent silent installs?

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Not that I know of. That wouldn't be reasonable, why would you ever want to do that?

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Well, in my case, there are a lot of questions to ask for a successful install that cannot be completed if silent... I have to ask the Q's.  I know, Iknow, you aren't supposed to configure  the app via setup program, but I have to wirk with what I have :)

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM

Db,

I've been thinking about what yoiu said about "why" would you do that?

What i have actually works; if someone runs the installer in quiet mode, all is well.  But some very important configuration info is not present, which is normally asked in the UI.

So is that a function of documentation or is there an ability to provide a response - input - file?   I dunno.

We are trying to achieve a ready-to-run thing right after install...of course...but it is a complicated thing and a lot of

questions have to be answered just to do a demo, let alone a production install.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 3:25 AM

So what are those questions that users must answer? Try to be specific with a couple of examples and I'll tell you some war stories about similar situations.

My next question is: how do you test your installers?

Generally DNI provides facilities to specify default values for all input fields, including disabled ones. So in theory you should be able to resolve this by ensuring that such values exist. There's no facility for a response file (although there's a feature request like this), but you can effectively achieve the same result with defaults and then with command-line switches when you want to change the defaults in silent mode. Finally, what kind of application requires a user input at all times? For starters, aren't the developers themselves fed up answering questions every time they do a simple install?

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:47 PM

It is a few questions that we know should be handled by a post-installer configuration utility.  But that's not important at this point.  I can't change that now.  But rest assured, we'll address it in the next major release.

Our application runs as a service and doesn't require user input.  But your question as a sentence is funny, because zillions of programs require user input (notepad?)  :) 

Our installer needs to know where a license file is, and it shouldn't install without this license.  I set it up to allow user to browse for that license.  In quiet mode this dialog does not appear, which is appropriate for quiet mode, obviously.

And the 'developers' (me and a 2 other people) are very tired of having to do this every time.  But that aint gonna change soon.

I tried to 'fake out' the bootstrapper by setting the quiet install options in the config file for my msi to nothing, but that did not seem to have an effect.

We'll just document that we don't support silent installs in the install doc, until we can properly exploit this feature and get our config stuff into a separate application.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2010 at 12:28 AM

I think you're on the right track: documenting that you don't support silent installs is good enough. That's generally the approach I take when I can't change things for whatever reason in our products. As long as we're not coding features that nobody needs (eg. disabling quiet installs :)).