HtmlInstaller GUI customization not working

Nov 10, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I tried the htmlInstaller 'Picture' example but couldn't make it to work. No modifications of any html or css files are taken into account. The setup.exe always shows the dafault html GUI. Also dowloading picture.jpg produces a corrupt file.

I am using dotNetInstaller 2.0.5068.0.

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Tell us a bit more about how you link the final bootstrapper (InstallerLinker command-line, etc.). Maybe share your entire configuration / project / xml / custom html?

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Here is my setup_build.bat file:

"C:\Program Files\dotNetInstaller\bin\InstallerLinker.exe" /Output:my_setup.exe /Template:"C:\Program Files\dotNetInstaller\bin\htmlInstaller.exe" /Configuration:myBootstrapperConfig.xml /EmbedHtml:HtmlSetup /Verbose+
pause

In the HtmlSetup folder are 3 files: index.html, picture.jpg (a good picture, 303 x 74) and style.css.

The output of InstallerLinker.exe says among other things: Embedding HTML resource ... for all 3 files from my HtmlSetup folder.

The installation process works well, in both cases: setup.exe generated with htmlInstaller and previously used dotNetInstaller.

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM

This looks correct. Lets start with simple things. Open the executable that is created with Visual Studio - it should have an "HTM" resource section with a "INDEX_HTML" [Neutral] resource that should be your index.html file.

I am actually noticing that the htmlInstaller bootstrapper itself is carrying a non-neutral INDEX_HTML, which may be part of this problem, but on my setup I checked that's it's loading the neutral one first. I'll fix that.

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I tried to open mysetup.exe with VisualStudio 2008, but I get the message: "Cannot enumerate resources in the executable".

Coordinator
Nov 11, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Something is broken :) Create a new issue here and upload your files to it.

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I tried again with dotNetInstaller 2.0.9804.0 but got the same results. I created an issue with the same title.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM

I tried again, but this time on a Win 7 system and it works. So it's a problem on my Win XP, probably an update from Microsoft missing.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:58 PM

@Alfa64: can you please try to compare the two binaries? What's the difference in resources? Take the one from XP, does it by any chance run with customized UI on the Win 7 box? Vice-versa?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM

The binary files are not identical. The one produced on Win XP cannot be opened in Visual Studio 2008 ("Cannot enumerate resources in the executable"), and shows the dafault html GUI in both XP and 7. The one procuced on Win 7 shows the customized html GUI on both systems XP and 7, and the resources can be browsed in Visual Studio.

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

This is fixed in rev. 60673. Windows XP/2003 seems unhappy when it sees lowercase resource IDs, go figure. Please try build 2.0.673.0.

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I tried again with version 2.0.9804.0 on a different XP system, but with the same results. So the GUI customization for htmlInstaller is not working on XP.

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Hm. That should be build 2.0.673.0. Can you double-check please. Thx.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Yes, the htmlInstaller GUI customization it works on XP in version 2.0.673.0.  Thanks.