Adding pre-requisite that is an .exe file!

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Hey, so i've been struggling with adding an .exe pre-requisite.

first i tried to do like in example conf files are shown, but when i start installing my setup.exe then i get failed_exec_command_continue message. So, i guess the command that is executed in the client machine is not successful (cmd.exe /C "#APPPATH\... .exe").

then i tried http://silverlightsam.wordpress.com/2010/08/12/using-dotnetinstaller-to-create-a-setup-exe-package/ , but there the pre-requisite seems to be an .msi file. (my understanding is that .exe files don't need embed files)?

But anyways(though it seamed funny), i tried to add embed file to my command component, but when building, i get error: embed file is missing (i've checked many times, directories are correct, and the file is there).

Any help is appreciated!

Coordinator
Nov 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM

First, always examine the log. The log file will tell you the real problem (eg. file xyz doesn't exist).

Fix the problem of embedding the file in the bootstrapper. If you're using 1.10 and the path is relative, it's relative to the configuration.xml file. It's completely unobvious, so it has changed in 2.0 to be relative to the current building path. This should help.

Next, after the file is embedded, reference it at runtime with #CABPATH rather than #APPPATH.

Post command-line output for build problems and logs for runtime ones.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:02 PM

when i run installerLinker command, then log file is not created, although i've set log_enable to true.

Is it a bug or something that i'm doing wrong? using version 1.10

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2010 at 7:38 PM

InstallerLinker is the linker that creates the executable, it's not supposed to create any logs. Runtime logs are created at the log_file location. You can also specify logging on the command-line: setup.exe /log /logfile install.log.