create 64bit installer

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I am using dotNetInstaller to create my bootstrapper that is supposed to run on Windows Server 2008 R2. I read that the template file provided to InstallLinker is 32 bit and hence the final boot strapper file is also 32 bit. One of the install check looks for II7 and enables it if it is not installed.

The command to enable is pkgmgr which runs DSIM.exe. I think since the command is invoked from 32bit process it identifies the architecture to be x86 and invokes WOW64 version of the command and fails to install IIS7 packages

2010-12-02 15:41:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Host machine information: OS Version=6.1.7600, Running architecture=x86, Number of processors=1

2010-12-02 15:41:53, Info                  DISM   DISM.EXE: Executing command line: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dism.exe"

running the SysWOW64\dism.exe in command prompt gives the following error

You cannot service a running 64-bit operating system with a 32-bit version of DISM.Please use the version of DISM that corresponds to your computer's architecture.

Are there any plans to provide 64bit dotNetInstaller.exe template file? 

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I don't think I understand how all of this works very well. Would http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/workitem/7382 solve this too?

There's no plan to provide a 64-bit native dotNetInstaller.exe, but you're certainly welcome to try to compile something like this. I'd love a patch, even if it's an incomplete one that would make a step forward with this.

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.