Silent reboot with multiple user logged in.

Dec 14, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Hello all.

Here's my goal: I need to do a remote silent install (without any user confirmation) while a user can be logged on the target machine.

The component installation is successful but, before the reboot is started, a windows prompt appear (blocking my installation) that tells me there are ohter users working on this machine.

Is there a way to execute a silent reboot without that windows prompt (forced for all users)?

The only way I've found is to use a "Command component" with this command

cmd.exe /k "shutdown /r /f"
but seems that using this command cannot complete the installation. (my log stops at executing that line)

P.S: I cannot rely on continue the installation after the reboot because on the target machine there may be the auto-logon on a specified user.

Thx.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:38 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 PM

You can force reboot in the component with the must_reboot option. Unfortunately the code is calling the Win32 API with a EWX_REBOOT flag, which causes these dialogs. For silent install it should just do EWX_REBOOT | EWX_FORCE and we should maybe add an option for users to override this behavior. I created a feature request. The first part of this change is relatively trivial, patches welcome.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Can I still use the method described above or there are major problems due to this?

If I use the command component as the last component to be executed, should be no problem if all other packages are installed. Temp files are deleted too.

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:30 PM

If it's a component, then DNI thinks that the component failed (it causes a reboot and never returns). You could use it as a complete_command maybe, but I still think it's flaky. I would make a small effort and fix the code.

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Tried complete_command but seems not working at all..