os_filter usage

Developer
Dec 29, 2010 at 4:59 PM

My setup is installing SQL2008R2 and this has a minimum requirement for Windows XP SP3, Windows 2003 SP2 and Windows Vista or later (Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008). To achive this I have set the os_filter to "winXPsp3,winServer2003sp2,winServer2003R2sp2,winVista,winServer2008,win7".

1. is this the correct way to do this? 

2. what happens when a newer version of Windows arrives e.g. Windows 8 - will the install still work?

Coordinator
Dec 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Dec 30, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I realize that we didn't do a good job at documenting or implementing this scenario. Right now you can only specify a mimumum OS and a max OS, but that's silly because, as you say, you want minimum XP SP3 and minimum Windows Vista. Those are separate timelines. If you list all operating systems, then your installer won't work with the next one. So,

• It's the correct way of doing this, but it has obvious limitations, created http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/workitem/8005.
  • The install won't work. You'll have to release a new version (which is okay for most people since nobody complained until you :)). You don't get an OS release that often.

I'd appreciate any suggestions and of course code on how to extend current filtering to the one you really want. I think it would be very useful.