Build number reset (2.0.673.0)

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I noticed the build number seems to have been reset - the latest build is 2.0.673.0 vs. 2.0.6508.0 a couple of months ago. Was it reset deliberately or did a change to project files cause it to be reset?

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Windows can only deal with 32K numbers or something like that for a single part of the version. So the scheme is to do SVN revision modulo 1000. It resets from time to time as the SVN revisions grow fast.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:17 PM

I have also noticed that there is something odd about the way the build number is set. It is based on the SVN revision number but this does always match the latest commit in SVN. For example the latest commit is 60693 but the version detection says it is 61048. This seems odd to me can I suggest a move to a version number based on "days since xxx", using the MSBuild.Community.Tasks version class this is trival to implement and will ensure build version are always greater than the one before.

Feb 6, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I am really a huge fan of svn-based revision :) I've used it many times to track back which source code I am actually using. I think we're missing an option in the SVN task that tells svn to use the latest server revision (as opposed to the client revision). You have to svn update first to get those in sync, even if there're no actual files to update in this branch.