Masked return code when SQL2008R2 requires a reboot

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Hi,

The SQL Server 2008 R2 installer may return several codes when a reboot is required. The documentation says:

0xBC2: Successful installation; however, a system reboot is required.

0x8XXX0BC2 : A system reboot required before the installation can continue.

Any suggestions please? Could this feature be implemented in dotNetInstaller?

Thank you very much for the attention.

Best regards,

Mello

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:05 PM

This is supported in dotNetInstaller. You can define return codes that mean success and reboot. You'll have to enter decimal, not hex numbers. See the rebooting chapter in the documentation please.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:39 PM

dblock,

I know distinct return codes may be specified. But as I stated in the discussion title, I'd like to know if a mask could be used, so that every code with the lower bytes 0x0bC2 could be handled without the need to investigate all possible return values.

I have done tests with SQL Server and it returned 3 distinct codes already. The documentation doesn't list all possible reasons to reboot, it just says all those codes end with 0x0BC2.

Thank you very much for the attention.

Best regards,

Mello

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM

You currently can't do any masking. It's an interesting feature request. Those error codes are HRESULTs, and I don't think you're going to actually get too many of them.

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Yes I had browsed the source code and even thought about submitting a patch for this feature. A colleague of mine suggested the parameter could contain hex values with wildcards inside, but I don't think the cost would be worth for only one user. So if more people need that then maybe it will be worth, but for now... I'll search for those HRESULTs in the public headers of SQL or Windows SDKs. If I find a list of all possible values it's enough for now.

Thank you very much for the attention!

Best regards,

Mello 

Developer
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:43 PM
Edited Feb 15, 2011 at 6:11 AM

In my testing I have found that I only need to check for these two: 3010,2227047362.

Developer
Feb 9, 2011 at 7:55 PM

This would be useful to me so I have added a couple for feature requests http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/workitem/8317 and http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/workitem/8318 which I hope to have time to code.