License question

Jun 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Your license agreement (AFAIU) requires us to place certain text in our product if we copy or use "substantial portions" of dotNetInstaller.

Surely, using dotNetInstaller to create bootstrapper package will include some portion of your product into our. This is the portion of code that finds and launches installations of dependencies. Does it mean that we have to include your text of license into our product? In other words: does the code which is redistributed by normal usage of your bootstrapper constitute a "substantial portion", or not?

Please, explicitly exclude (or include) this case into your license.

Thank you

Coordinator
Jun 13, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I am not a legal expert, you should consult an attorney if you think there's a problem somewhere that's incompatible with your needs.

dotNetInstaller is licensed under the MIT license.

I believe (and again I am not a lawyer) the MIT license wants you to do is include its text with your product's 3rd party licenses or documentation. That is true with "normal" usage of the bootstrapper. Take the MIT license text file as is and put it somewhere in your product's distribution and you have complied. Nobody needs to see any UI for example which says dotNetInstaller or anything like that - you just need to include the MIT license in your 3rd party licenses.