Hiding all of dotNetInstaller's UI

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I'm trying to wrap an MSI into an executable which does all the right things regarding MSI upgrading etc. but which displays its own UI. Is it possible to configure dotNetInstaller to avoid displaying any of its own dialogs and just sequence the installation steps instead? I'm sure I've done this before but I can't find the correct combination of removing text from properties, setting 'showDialog' to False etc.

Coordinator
Nov 1, 2011 at 9:57 PM

You can set the UI mode to silent in the configuration.

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:00 PM

But doesn't that also set the MSI's UI to silent too? I'd like the MSI to run in Full UI mode but dotNetInstaller to be silent.

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Hm. I don't think it's possible then, but it's pretty close. You might need to do some code here or launch the MSI with something else than the MSI component. Maybe the MSI component could have a mode option that forces it to run in a certain mode?

Dec 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Hi, I was trying to do the same thing as you, bcran, and I think I found the way. Not with a silent installation but with a basic one.

Start a new configuration project in Installer Editor and set the following properties :

At the configuration root  : 

• ui-level="basic"

In a new "Setup Configuration"  : 

• failed_exec_command_continue=""
  • show_progress_dialog="False"

In a new msi component : 

• cmdparameters_basic="/qf"

In case I forgot something, here is a sample : 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configurations lcid_type="UserExe" show_language_selector="False" language_selector_title="" language_selector_ok="OK" language_selector_cancel="Cancel" configuration_no_match_message="" ui_level="basic" fileversion="" productversion="" log_enabled="False" log_file="#TEMPPATH\dotNetInstallerLog.txt">
  <schema version="2.0.81.0" generator="dotNetInstaller InstallerEditor" />
  <configuration dialog_caption="APPLICATION_NAME Installer" dialog_message="In order to install APPLICATION_NAME you must first install these components:" dialog_message_uninstall="" dialog_bitmap="#APPPATH\banner.bmp" skip_caption="Skip" install_caption="Install" uninstall_caption="Uninstall" cancel_caption="Close" status_installed=" (Installed)" status_notinstalled="" failed_exec_command_continue="" installation_completed="APPLICATION_NAME installed successfully!" uninstallation_completed="APPLICATION_NAME uninstalled successfully!" installation_none="APPLICATION_NAME is already installed!" uninstallation_none="APPLICATION_NAME is not installed!" installing_component_wait="Installing %s. Wait, this operation could take some time ..." uninstalling_component_wait="Uninstalling %s. Wait, this operation could take some time ..." reboot_required="To continue the installation you must restart your computer. Restart now?" must_reboot_required="False" dialog_otherinfo_caption="" dialog_otherinfo_link="" complete_command="" complete_command_silent="" complete_command_basic="" wait_for_complete_command="True" auto_close_if_installed="True" auto_close_on_error="False" reload_on_error="True" dialog_show_installed="True" dialog_show_uninstalled="True" dialog_show_required="True" cab_dialog_message="%s" cab_cancelled_message="" cab_dialog_caption="" cab_path="#TEMPPATH\#GUID" cab_path_autodelete="True" dialog_default_button="cancel" dialog_position="" dialog_components_list_position="" dialog_message_position="" dialog_bitmap_position="" dialog_otherinfo_link_position="" dialog_osinfo_position="" dialog_install_button_position="" dialog_cancel_button_position="" dialog_skip_button_position="" auto_start="False" auto_continue_on_reboot="False" reboot_cmd="" show_progress_dialog="False" show_cab_dialog="True" disable_wow64_fs_redirection="False" administrator_required="False" administrator_required_message="APPLICATION_NAME installation requires administration rights." type="install" lcid_filter="" language_id="" language="" os_filter="" os_filter_min="" os_filter_max="" processor_architecture_filter="" supports_install="True" supports_uninstall="True">
    <component package="#APPPATH\mysetup.msi" cmdparameters="" cmdparameters_silent="/qn" cmdparameters_basic="/qf" uninstall_package="" uninstall_cmdparameters="/qb-" uninstall_cmdparameters_silent="/qn" uninstall_cmdparameters_basic="/qb-" disable_wow64_fs_redirection="False" id="YOURID" display_name="mysetup.msi" uninstall_display_name="" os_filter="" os_filter_min="" os_filter_max="" os_filter_lcid="" type="msi" installcompletemessage="" uninstallcompletemessage="" mustreboot="False" reboot_required="" must_reboot_required="False" failed_exec_command_continue="" allow_continue_on_error="True" default_continue_on_error="False" required_install="True" required_uninstall="True" selected_install="True" selected_uninstall="True" note="" processor_architecture_filter="" status_installed="" status_notinstalled="" supports_install="True" supports_uninstall="True" show_progress_dialog="True" show_cab_dialog="True" />
  </configuration>
</configurations>

Hope this helps