How to conditionally set REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I'd like to change the msiexe command if the software has been previously installed.  Anyone know how to do that?

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM

You're trying to do a minor upgrade, which involves pain and suffering. You've been warned.

An MSI component today in DNI doesn't support minor upgrades because see above :) You can create a command component instead and pass all these arguments. You'll need an installed check that says "upgrade is needed" nested under that cmd component.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:58 PM
I've been doing minor upgrades for the last eight years at least (with IS) on many products. I got through all the pain a long time ago. You just can't delete files until you do a major upgrade...which I do every year on current apps so it's not a problem. I really don't see what everyone is complaining about when it comes to minor upgrades...anyway.

If I add a check don't I have to embed the msi under it? If so then wouldn't I have to include 2 msis duplicating my footprint???

On 11/24/2011 10:45 AM, dblock wrote:

You're trying to do a minor upgrade, which involves pain and suffering. You've been warned.

An MSI component today in DNI doesn't support minor upgrades because see above :) You can create a command component instead and pass all these arguments. You'll need an installed check that says "upgrade is needed" nested under that cmd component.

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 8:38 PM

If your setup is only delivering files, minor updates are fine per me. But you're right, lets not have a debate here :)

Since you're not using an MSI component, you can nest the embedded file under the installation instead of a component and reference it directly from CABPATH in the command line. This way you only have one. The downside is that it gets extracted all the time, even if you don't need to install it.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM
My
Regards,
Michael Janulaitis
Corner Bowl Software
michael@cornerbowl.com
866-543-9470

On 11/24/2011 2:38 PM, dblock wrote:

If your setup is only delivering files, minor updates are fine per me. But you're right, lets not have a debate here :)

Since you're not using an MSI component, you can nest the embedded file under the installation instead of a component and reference it directly from CABPATH in the command line. This way you only have one. The downside is that it gets extracted all the time, even if you don't need to install it.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM
All of my installs do much more than add files. Minor updates have never been a problem. They work just fine. I am not sure why so many have problems. I figured it out a long time ago and now I never have problems. Just don't delete files from your projects :) I am using an MSI component. I've created my own MSI with WIX. The MSI must always be extracted because that's what I'm installing.

On 11/24/2011 2:38 PM, dblock wrote:

If your setup is only delivering files...