Update old installer

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:39 AM

I'm using the Consumer Preview of Windows 8 and trying to install an program that's no longer in development.  I believe the program itself might work fine because it did in Windows 7, but I can't get it to install because of the "Unsupported operating system, major=6, version=2.2, sp=0.0, type=1" error that keeps coming up.

Is there any way for me to either update the installer without having whatever source files were put into it, just the install file itself, or trick the installer into thinking I'm running a different version of windows?

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM

You can't trick the installer into this. There have been changes around this recently and I think it would be a good idea to make the configuration such that you can skip this error, maybe with a warning. Would love a pull request

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Thinking about this again, you might be able to run the installer in compatibility mode (haven't seen Windows 8 intself, but in 7 you can change this in the properties of the executable).

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I tried the compatibility mode with a few varying options, but it doesn't seem to fool whatever method dotNetInstaller uses for determining your OS, unfortunately.