List of error messages - "No download components found. Downloads node is empty."

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:45 PM
Is there a list of error messages and their causes anywhere?

My bootstrapper compiles, but when I run it I get a message box with "No download components found. Downloads node is empty".

I don't understand what this means. I've checked all my downloaddialog/downloads/download elements in my config file and I can't find anything wrong. I don't know where to look further to resolve this with so little info in the error message. Btw, if it was just malformed XML, shouldn't the linker have complained?

Obviously, I'm a newbie. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Coordinator
Mar 24, 2009 at 9:07 PM
I'll check it out. Can you please tell me whether you're using 1.5 or 1.6 beta (if you haven't tried 1.6 beta, please do) and attach a config file (maybe copy/paste). Thx.
Mar 25, 2009 at 8:46 AM
Edited Mar 25, 2009 at 8:48 AM
Thx. I've sent it in a private message to you, to avoid corp permission reasons. If you haven't got it, please give me an e-mail adress I can send it to.

Yeah, I'm using 1.6 beta.

EDIT: Also sent it to the e-mail adress you use on the WiX list.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2009 at 2:25 PM
This turned out to be pretty simple. Your configuration file schema is 1.5, but you're using a 1.6 build. There're have been significant schema changes, but the editor is backwards compatible. Simply reopen the config file in the 1.6 InstallerEditor and resave it. This shouldn't be allowed and both the linker and the bootstrapper should at least produce a warning. There's a workitem, [workitem:1760] about this.

Let me know if you have any more problems.
Coordinator
Mar 25, 2009 at 2:26 PM
Another comment on error messages. There's no list. This error means that there're no download components associated with a download dialog. You have a download dialog, but nothing to download. Clearly you do in the XML configuration, it's just that the schema is off. I can make the error message better, any suggestions of what it should say?
Mar 25, 2009 at 2:49 PM
Edited Mar 25, 2009 at 2:50 PM
In my case I had five download dialog elements. It would help if the error message told which one was problematic.

Also, it would help if the error message was formulated so that it was crystal clear that this was a problem with the bootstrap configuration file and not the bootstrap download itself. For instance, one thing I considered (and checked) was that the bootstrapper tried downloading the requested file, but the URL came back blank and therefore then complained the download was not there.

Maybe something like this?
"No download components found in bootstrap configuration definition. Downloads definition for DownloadDialog element 'FoooBar' has no valid file download definition."
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 1:54 AM
Makes sense. Fixed @ rev. 19882. It now says "Invalid configuration. Download dialog "bla bla bla" requires at least one download file". I can't mention a component because download dialogs can be nested under a reference (downloaded) configuration.