Don't show Download Dialog if file exists?

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Hi,

is it possible to not show the Download Dialog (containing the start download button, etc.) if the file exists? The DownloadFile Component can be set up in a way that it first checks if the file locally exists (currently only in the same directory as the download target dir) and if so, that it does not download anything. Is there a way to don't show the Download Dialog if all child DownlodFile components exist locally? I think it could be confusing to an user if the dialog states that there will be a download if you press start but the file is locally stored and actually no download happens.

What I want to do is to create one setup that checks if a file locally exists and if not downloads it. So I can use the same bootstapper executable for burning on CD (and put the support file locally there, too) and for a web setup I can mail to some one that downloads all its needed stuff. So, it would be gread if the user with the CD would not see the Download dialog.

Regards and thanks for this gread product,
Tom

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2009 at 1:01 PM
Yep, this just looks wrong. I'll take a look at the code.
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 3:49 PM
This is fixed in rev. 22631.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM
Build http://dotnetinstaller.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=23955 has been updated, please try it.
Apr 22, 2009 at 4:30 PM

Great, it works like expected :)
Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Tom

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:28 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2009 at 11:57 PM

Hi there,

it seems to me that this issue is again alive At least in the official .7 release. I will check if it is fixed in current trunk

Edit: No, it does not work in the current trunk either. The download dialog is still presented while copying.

Cheers,
Tom

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Can you please attach a config file and a log? Sorry for the hassle, I'll make sure to write a unit test for this so it never breaks again.

Coordinator
Nov 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM

I think I really fixed it this time, and wrote a test. Build 1.8.5656.0.

There're three scenarios:

• Download is required, dialog shows.
  • File copy is required (source path different from targetpath + targetfilename), dialog shows.
  • File exists (source path same as targetpath + targetfilename), dialog doesn't show.

Throw in options like alwaysdownload :) I hope I got it right this time. Please confirm.

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Hi,

sorry for my late reply. I had no time to look after this issie last week. So I checked out the current version and it seems that „the problem“ still exists. Actually, it behaves like you have written above. My test case is the file copy: As I understood it, I have to specify different source (SRC) and target (TG) locations if I want to download the file if it does not exist. DNI will try to copy the file from SRC to TG. If this does not work out (thus, the file is not available at SRC), it will download the file to TG.

Now, what I want is that there is no Download-Dialog during the copy case since there is no dowload (but a copy). SRC and TG can also not be the same, because of possible permission problems on SRC. Imagine a setup on a CD-Rom, with the needed files (in my case the .Net-Framework) on it. A user would see the download dialog and maybe confused.

Or am I getting something wrong? Anyway, thank you very much for your effort and help.

Bye,
Tom

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2009 at 6:53 PM

I see. I think this works as (I have) designed. If SRC != TG then the download dialog shows with the copying message, so that there's progress during copy - big files take a long time. So download dialog is also a copying dialog. Am I missing something about this being not such a good idea?

Nov 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM

The ability of modifying the messages would be a great way to do what I want. I tried the last available 1.8 beta download, but unfortunately it did not work out: The download message was the one that was shown in all of my tries. SRC is != TG. Maybe one more bug is hiding in there?

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Ok. Try again with build 1.8.5920.0. If it doesn't work, please make sure to post a log file. Thx.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Great, it is working now. The progress bar is not working, but thi is not important - the correct message is now shown :-).

Thank you very much!

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM

You mean the progress bar for copying? That's correct. CopyFile doesn't support monitoring progress, that would be a nice to have feature request.

Coordinator
Dec 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.