Authenticode Signing renders Single File Setup unusable

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Dear author/support

I have successfully created a single file executable with your bootstrapper.

When trying to sign the executable with something like:

SignTool.exe sign /v /t http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll /f "my-cert-authenticode.pfx" /p "mypassword" "my-dni-generated-setup.exe"

I get two results:

1: The signing fails with an error message:

"SignTool Error: No signature was found. The file must be signed before it can be timestamped."

2: The single-file setup "my-dni-generated-setup.exe" is not executable anymore:

When double-clicking, windows says (roughly translated from German):

"Could not start application because the side-by-side configuration is invalid. Further information is available in the application event log.".

The event log says something like:

"Error generating the activation context for "my-dni-generated-setup.exe". Error in manifest or policy file "my-dni-generated-setup.exe" in line 0. Invalid XML syntax."

Question:

Is this my fault and I am doing anything wrong (I strongly hope so!) or is this a conceptual issue that a single-file setup with DNI is never signable at all?

Thank you very much
Uwe

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Best support is self support.

So I managed to get it working.

My fault was, that I also signed "dotNetInstaller.exe", before building the actual setup.

After I re-installed your MSI package and thus resetted the whole environment, I got an unsigned "dotNetInstaller.exe". The then-generated "my-dni-generated-setup.exe" was successfully signable.

Thanks anyway for listening :-)
Uwe

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Cool. Now that you helped yourself resolve your problem, you can help us by posting here where you're using dotNet Installer :)